A Two-Day Hybrid International Conference on “Deciphering Global Security Architecture in the 21st Century: Exploring Pathways, Determining Strategies” is being jointly organized by Department of Political Science, University of the Punjab, Lahore & Pakistan Research Center for a Community with Shared Future (PRCCSF), Islamabad at Lahore from 16th – 17th March 2022.
On 16th March, Mr. Khalid Taimur Akram, Executive Director, Pakistan Research Center for a Community with Shared Future (PRCCSF), Islamabad presented paper and shared his analysis on "Planet Earth Eroding: Understanding Impact of Climate Change and Environmental Degradation". He stated that the notion of security has long remained a center of discussion. According to this new approach, security comprises the broader dimensions of Non-traditional or soft security, in addition to the established hard or military security. He explained the audience that Non-traditional security challenges have potentially impacted the socioeconomic and political fabrics of society.
He stated that for understanding the nature of these menaces, the environmental dimension to security must be clear. Important themes like risk management, conflict resolution, and preventive apparatus can be the major areas in security studies.
Mr. Khalid Taimur also suggested that climate change is not a myth but a reality and our planet earth is eroding. Thereby, we should promote and adopt clean, green, and resilient parameters to mitigate the adverse impacts of climate change. Sustainable development can be achieved along with green transformation by shifting toward renewable energy resources. He stated that Renewable energy can be one of the major solutions to combat the devastating impacts of climate change, curtail Carbon emissions, and maintain a healthy ecosystem. It is pertinent to develop a regional or robust national mechanism for clean energy.
He concluding while saying that it is imp to give impetus to green shift and technological development that will protect the environment.
Other speakers of the session included:
• Prof. Dr. Iram Khalid Chairperson, Department of Political Science, University of the Punjab, Lahore
• Dr. Muhammad Waris Assistant Professor, Department of Pakistan Studies Government College University, Faisalabad
• Farzana Zaheer Syed Assistant Professor, Higher Education Department
• Dr. Muhammad Younis Associate Professor, Forman Christian College University Iqra Riaz Ud Din M.Phil. scholar, Forman Christian College University
• Zainab Asif Dar, Lecturer, School of Integrated Social Sciences, University of Lahore
• Dr. Rehana Saeed Hashmi Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, University of the Punjab, Lahore.
• Dr. Bibi Saira Visiting Faculty, Department of Pol Science, University of the Punjab, Lahore
• Jamal-ud- Din MPhil Scholar, Political Science Department , University of the Punjab, Lahore